Then & Now
In January 1951, the Citizen’s Council for Public Education was formed and High School District 231 was established. The voters of Evergreen Park approved the recommended new high school district in April 1952 and elected the first Board of Education on May 16, 1952. On May 26, the Board of Education met for the first time. Over the course of the next two years, many meetings were held as the Board planned to make Evergreen Park Community High School a reality. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on May 1, 1954 and a dedication ceremony took place on October 16, 1955.
Prior to the opening of Evergreen Park Community High School, students attended 12 neighboring high schools on a tuition basis. However, for the Class of 1958, the 1954-55 school year began in the basement of Immanuel United Church of Christ. Even though EPCHS was still under construction, the doors opened on April 25, 1955 for these 176 students and nine teachers.
In the fall of 1955, the building was ready for the Classes of 1957 and 1959 to join the Class of 1958 in the new building. The teaching staff now numbered 26 and student enrollment was 520. On May 31, 1957, Evergreen Park Community High School graduated its first class of 132 students – the Class of 1957.
As the village population continued to grow, so did student enrollment. Additions were completed in 1959, 1963, 1967, and 1972 which included classrooms, an auditorium (named for Dr. Marshall Batho), gym facilities, a new cafeteria and courtyard, a second gym, a swimming pool, and the Learning Resource Center. In 2019, EPCHS purchased the Evergreen Park Racquet and Fitness Club. The building has been renovated and will soon be used for physical education classes, student athletes, marching band and color guard. It will also be available for District 231 feeder programs, community members and other outside groups. EPCHS has used existing capital funds. The project is not expected to negatively impact residents' property tax bills.
EPCHS is a single school building in Cook County, located on approximately 20 acres. The boundaries of District 231 are coterminous with the Village of Evergreen Park: Pulaski Avenue on the west, 87th Street on the north, Western Avenue on the east, and 103rd Street on the south between Central Park and California. EPCHS draws students from Evergreen Park District 124, Most Holy Redeemer School, Queen of Martyrs School, and St. John Fisher School. District 231 serves only the residents of the Village of Evergreen Park.
Mission & Vision
Our mission is to create a diverse learning environment that fosters lifelong learning, maximizes educational opportunities for all students, and lays the foundation for respectful, responsible citizenship. Evergreen Park Community High School graduates embrace lifelong learning, value physical and emotional health, give back to their community, achieve their full potential, and inspire those around them.
- We provide a curriculum meant both to enlighten and to challenge - an educational foundation that offers each student the opportunity to reach his or her full academic potential.
- We monitor the social and emotional well-being of all students and maintain a safe learning environment.
- We promote acceptance, respect, and an appreciation of diversity.
- We maintain transparency and accountability with all stakeholders, including students, staff, parents and members of the Evergreen Park community.